Art gives Millom station new lease of life
Published at 16:53, Tuesday, 05 February 2013
STUDENTS’ dazzling artwork has given Millom station a new lease of life.
The colourful designs, featuring iconic images of Millom’s past and present, now adorn the walls of the Barrow-bound platform.
The Friends of Millom Station commissioned art students from Millom School to produce a colourful mural to brighten up the platform.
Speaking at Thursday’s unveiling, FoM secretary, Dot Williams, said the finished artwork spoke of the town’s rich history.
She said: “The students have a great art teacher (Simone Faulkner, head of art at Millom School), and right from the start nothing was a problem for her.
“The mural is more than pictures and photos. It speaks of the Millom that the students know; the buildings, the events and the scenery of the area.
“They have also revealed Millom’s industrial past and the hard work that meant for so many people in Millom.
“I like to think of the mural as a collaboration of the young people of Millom, who are the future of the town.”
Miss Faulkner said: “The Friends of Millom Station came to me with the idea of painting a mural on the platform, but it would have taken a long time for students to do that.
“So we came up with the idea of putting their designs on to print board, which means they’ll withstand the test of time.
“It’s not very often that a school can say they have an open-air, public gallery to show what they can do.”
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks (1 comment)
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Fond tributes to Millom poppy appeal heroine
- Millom dad walks 97 miles to highlight tot's plight
- Millom sex offender jailed for three years after targeting children
- Praise for Millom project promoting public health
- Anger over inaction on disabled stairlift at Millom Town Council chambers
- New organ donors sign up within minutes of Millom group's campaign launch
- Disabled access row at Millom Town Council chambers (1 comment)
- West Cumbria residents anger as prison sewage system leaks (1 comment)
- Millom brothers cleared of neglecting mother (1 comment)
- Man left with cuts and bruises after assault in Millom
- Millom cyclist can’t wait for race close to home
- West Cumbria mayor’s political adviser fought to be area’s MP
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria horse Skye back at home after sickening paddock sex attack
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row (3 comments)
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services (1 comment)
- Millom double death inquest concludes
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22