Haverigg man faces child sex charges
Published at 16:50, Friday, 14 December 2012
A MAN has appeared in court charged with historic sexual offences against children.
Martin David Phillips appeared in Furness Magistrates’ Court yesterday charged with two offences of gross indecency under the Indecency with Children Act 1960, and one offence of indecent assault under the Sexual Offences Act 1956.
The offences of gross indecency relate to two girls, both aged under 14, while the assault relates to a female victim aged under 16.
The 41-year-old, a former boss of a saw mill in Millom, is alleged to have committed the offences in Bootle, between November 1986 and March 1990.
Phillips, who was represented in court by Mr Trystan Roberts and who gave his address as Mainstreet, Haverigg, did not enter a plea to the three offences.
He has been released on conditional bail and is due to appear before Preston Crown Court for a preliminary hearing on January 3.
Prosecutor Mrs Judith Knott said bail conditions prevent Phillips from having any access, contact or communication with any child under the age of 16.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Campaign to name baby found dead in Millom tip (12 comments)
- Millom Weight Watchers leader steps down after helping hundreds (1 comment)
- Millom vandals cause hundreds of pounds worth of damage
- Application to build wind turbines at Cumbria prison refused (2 comments)
- Millom students’ Borneo adventure an ‘amazing’ experience
- ‘Miracle’ drug could be key to new life for Millom girl
- Cumbria borough tops poll of affordable property (1 comment)
- Visitors flock to Millom and Broughton Agricultural Show for celebration of country life
- Dogs bound into action for slice of Cumbria country life
- Millom RAF history goes back on display
- Millom “vulnerable” due to nearby prison (4 comments)
- Tributes paid after death of Millom man (1 comment)
- Millom man's boat theft dismay
- Millom man accused of GBH
- South Cumbria students received their A-Level results
- Millom woman faces trial charged with verbally abusing children
- Backers claim Millom wind power would generate £5m profit (3 comments)
- Millom man's blog comments caused victim ‘horrendous’ stress
- TV show recounts attack on Haverigg woman who was set ablaze
- Millom residents offered green gadgets to cut food waste
- Haverigg prison bosses taken to task over ‘appalling’ cuts in staff (2 comments)
- Parking permit trial at Millom doctors’ surgery
- Millom man denies assault
- Millom health services set for major revamp (1 comment)
- Balancing act comes to Millom
Evening Mail homepage
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
Go green 34
Travel the globe
Go green 33