Local Correspondent for Millomlocal
Last updated at 13:14, Tuesday, 25 June 2013
Brian Crawford is Millomlocal's new local Correspondent . Brian, born in Fleetwood, is a retired secondary school science teacher and served in the Royal Engineers on tugs and landing craft at Southampton, Aden and in Bahrein, the Gulf for 15 months in the early 1960's.
Brian lives in Lancashire Road, Millom with his wife Jill.
Since moving to Millom from Askam-in-Furness in August 2006, Brian has become very involved with local Millom and district community groups including the South Copeland Disability Group, The Millom Pensioner's Club, The Millom Hospital League of Friends, The Friends of Millom Park, The Millom Ironworks Management Group, The Millom Recreation Centre, The Millom and District Angling Club, the South Cumbria Sea Sports Association Ltd., the Furness and South Cumbria Fisheries Consultative Association, the South West Cumbrland Fisheries Association, the Cumbria Sea Fisheries Committee, the River Duddon Partnership, the Duddon Estuary Partnership, Millom Youth Partnership, Millom Youth Forum, Millom Children's Centre and the Millom Skate Park Management Group. From May 2007 to November 2008, Brian was also a volunteer with the Millom & Haverigg Economic Development Group two days per week, mainly working on the Millom website and in the production of the M&HEDG Newsletter - Risogimento. He now works with the Millom Network Centre to produce their Newsletter - The Networker.
In April 2008, Brian was elected a Millom Town Councillor for the Holborn Hill ward and represents Millom on the South Copeland Partnership of Parish Councils and is a member of the Executive Committee of the Cumbria Association of Local Councils - Copeland Division.
When Brian is not at a committee meeting he tries to go fishing - any fishing, coarse, sea or game. He likes pike fishing on Coniston in the winter or small boat sea fishing in summer. He has held a British fishing record, appeared in the 1996 edition of the Guinness book of records, had several fishing books published and has appeared on tv in the "Screaming Reels" series.
It is Brian's wish to see the views and issues of Millom and district reflected on Millomlocal. He would like representatives of all local community groups to contact him with information about local events, news, photos, comments about Millom and district, awards, competitions and ideas for inclusion on this site.
Brian can be contacted on 01229 777648 and if he is out (fishing or at a committee meeting) you can leave your details on the answer phone and he will get back to you asap. Or you can email him at email@example.com headed "Millomlocal"
First published at 19:50, Friday, 18 September 2009
Published by http://www.millomlocal.co.uk
More Millom news
- Campaign to name baby found dead in Millom tip (12 comments)
- Millom Weight Watchers leader steps down after helping hundreds (1 comment)
- Millom vandals cause hundreds of pounds worth of damage
- Application to build wind turbines at Cumbria prison refused (2 comments)
- Millom students’ Borneo adventure an ‘amazing’ experience
- ‘Miracle’ drug could be key to new life for Millom girl
- Cumbria borough tops poll of affordable property (1 comment)
- Visitors flock to Millom and Broughton Agricultural Show for celebration of country life
- Dogs bound into action for slice of Cumbria country life
- Millom RAF history goes back on display
- Millom “vulnerable” due to nearby prison (4 comments)
- Tributes paid after death of Millom man (1 comment)
- Millom man's boat theft dismay
- Millom man accused of GBH
- South Cumbria students received their A-Level results
- Millom woman faces trial charged with verbally abusing children
- Backers claim Millom wind power would generate £5m profit (3 comments)
- Millom man's blog comments caused victim ‘horrendous’ stress
- TV show recounts attack on Haverigg woman who was set ablaze
- Millom residents offered green gadgets to cut food waste
- Haverigg prison bosses taken to task over ‘appalling’ cuts in staff (2 comments)
- Parking permit trial at Millom doctors’ surgery
- Millom man denies assault
- Millom health services set for major revamp (1 comment)
- Balancing act comes to Millom
Evening Mail homepage
WCF pet and equestrian
Choosing a pre school
Come and join us 5
Go green 34