Lanterns light up sky in tribute to Haverigg boy
Last updated at 17:05, Tuesday, 08 January 2013
THE Millom sky was lit up by beautiful floating lanterns in a poignant tribute to a beloved young boy.
Around 35 paper lights were released during a special fundraiser held in memory of nine-year-old Millom boy, Rylan Cosgrove.
The young rugby starlet died last February following a serious asthma attack.
Held at Millom Mini Rugby League Club, Friday’s event pulled in more than 100 people.
The moving occasion also saw Rylan’s parents presented with a framed rugby shirt, which will be displayed on a wall at the club in the youngster’s honour.
Polly Robinson, from the Millom Mini Rugby Committee, helped to organise the event.
She said: “It must’ve been really hard for them (Rylan’s parents), but they both did so well.
“It was an emotional night but Julie (Stephenson, Rylan’s mum) was so pleased with everything.
“It was just the perfect night. Rylan would’ve loved it.”
The event included team games for adults and children followed by a buffet, a picture quiz plus a raffle and tombola draw.
After enjoying a stunning firework display and the lantern release, it was back inside for a disco.
As well as thanking all the businesses and local people who donated prizes for the night, Mrs Robinson gave a special mention to Greens bakery, who donated all their uneaten pies, cakes and pasties from that day.
Mrs Robinson said: “It was really, really good, such a nice night.
“We do things every now and then, but this one was a really special occasion.”
Ms Stephenson described the evening as an emotional occasion.
She said: “There was a great turnout on the night. It was a bit emotional but it was a good event.
“When Rylan died, the rugby club were lovely and Black Combe Junior School helped with his funeral arrangements. They prepared an order of service and the children sang at his funeral.
“I’m hoping the money will be used to pay for a trip for the children.”
It is hoped the event will raise around £1,000, and both the mini rugby league club and Black Combe Junior School, which Rylan attended, are set to benefit.
First published at 16:34, Monday, 07 January 2013
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Lawyers to demand tougher sentence for Millom double axe killer
- Millom man's sentencing date due over child abuse images
- Rural residents in Cumbria warned of fuel and chainsaw thefts
- Millom residents invited to elected mayor meetings
- Tennis bid to unlock Millom sporting prowess (1 comment)
- Leader of campaign for elected mayor in Copeland speaks out (1 comment)
- Millom girls 'red hair' row (9 comments)
- Double Millom killer’s hospital sentence halved (12 comments)
- Millom four in court charged with wounding
- Toddlers in Millom house with needles and drugs (9 comments)
- Cash boost for Copeland
- Son charged with Millom murders taken to Barrow court (41 comments)
- Millom man locked up for life for axing his mum and sister to death
- Friends speak of a ‘kind-hearted mummy’s boy’ from Millom
- Millom killings ‘have made community closer’
- Police to ask if Millom deaths could have been avoided
- Millom killer returned weapon to bedroom before he fled from the house
- Police hunt for Millom shoplifter
- Millom murder accused pleads not guilty
- Millom residents voice surgery worries
- Court sets date for sentencing of Millom killer
- UPDATE: Water supply back on after burst pipe affects thousands of homes in South Cumbria
- War of words breaks out over Millom spending cuts
- Campaign to build bridge between Millom and Askam re-ignited (10 comments)
- Cumbria Prison chief sent female colleague sordid pictures
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans
- Pedestrian killed on M6 motorway near Carlisle
- Tributes to Millom dad found hanged (3 comments)
- Deadline looms for say on Millom police cuts (5 comments)
- Millom Recreation Centre’s £600k revamp the tip of the iceberg
- MILLOM CRICKET CLUB
- Millom four in court charged with wounding
- Hot gossip
- West Lakes ‘faces being ruined by nuclear dump’ (4 comments)
- On call this weekend
- Festival of fools kicks off in Cumbria