Millom factory worker killed
Last updated at 14:11, Thursday, 15 October 2009
A MAN who suffered serious head injuries while working at a factory has died.
Michael Pattinson, 59, had been emptying rubbish into a skip at Tornado Wire in Devonshire Road, Millom.
He was later found lying on the floor by a worker from a nearby company.
Mr Pattinson, of Queen’s Park, Millom, had suffered serious head injuries.
He was taken to Furness General Hospital in Barrow and died on Tuesday evening.
Acting Sergeant Laura Robinson, based at Millom police station, said yesterday: “We can confirm that Mr Pattinson has passed away.
“He died last night at Furness General Hospital.
“At the moment we are not releasing further details about the cause of death.”
An investigation was launched by the police and the Health and Safety Executive in a bid to establish exactly what happened in the run up to Mr Pattinson being found shortly before 6.30pm on Monday.
Jerry Bradnam, operations director at Tornado Wire, said: “We are carrying out our own
investigation and co-operating fully with the relevant authorities. We decided to close the factory on Tuesday as both a mark of respect and to enable colleagues to come to terms with the event. Our thoughts and sympathy are with the family who have requested privacy and time to come to terms with their loss.
“Until the matter is fully investigated we are unable to comment further.”
Tornado Wire’s 50-strong workforce was sent home for the day on Tuesday but the factory was open yesterday.
First published at 19:44, Wednesday, 14 October 2009
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Lawyers to demand tougher sentence for Millom double axe killer
- Millom man's sentencing date due over child abuse images
- Rural residents in Cumbria warned of fuel and chainsaw thefts
- Millom residents invited to elected mayor meetings
- Tennis bid to unlock Millom sporting prowess (1 comment)
- Leader of campaign for elected mayor in Copeland speaks out (1 comment)
- Millom girls 'red hair' row (9 comments)
- Double Millom killer’s hospital sentence halved (12 comments)
- Millom four in court charged with wounding
- Toddlers in Millom house with needles and drugs (9 comments)
- Cash boost for Copeland
- Son charged with Millom murders taken to Barrow court (41 comments)
- Millom man locked up for life for axing his mum and sister to death
- Friends speak of a ‘kind-hearted mummy’s boy’ from Millom
- Millom killings ‘have made community closer’
- Police to ask if Millom deaths could have been avoided
- Millom killer returned weapon to bedroom before he fled from the house
- Police hunt for Millom shoplifter
- Millom murder accused pleads not guilty
- Millom residents voice surgery worries
- Court sets date for sentencing of Millom killer
- UPDATE: Water supply back on after burst pipe affects thousands of homes in South Cumbria
- War of words breaks out over Millom spending cuts
- Campaign to build bridge between Millom and Askam re-ignited (10 comments)
- Cumbria Prison chief sent female colleague sordid pictures
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans