Millom man headbutted window to flee party
Last updated at 16:39, Thursday, 15 November 2012
A MAN was so desperate to run away from the scene of a party he headbutted his way through a window.
Jonathan Hillier’s painful flight came after he and a group of friends were caught drinking together in a former cannabis factory in Wellington Street, Millom, Furness Magistrates’ Court heard.
In May firefighters fought a blaze at the house for several hours after a fire broke out in the loft.
It was found to contain 63 cannabis plants with a street value of £25,000. The court was told how on August 30 police were called by a man in the street who heard noise coming from the house.
Mr John Appleby, prosecuting, said the man heard voices and banging and decided to investigate.
“He saw five local Millom people who were drinking and partying,” said Mr Appleby.
“He described Mr Hillier who, in his urgency to get away, ran to the back door and tried to headbutt the door and the glass smashed and the defendant climbed out.”
When he was arrested and interviewed, Hillier said he had been drinking with friends and they decided to go to the empty house where the drinking continued.
He was left with a bleeding head and the door was said to be beyond repair.
Mr Mike Graham, defending, said Hillier, a chef, was sorry for what had happened.
Hillier, 25, of Albert Street, Millom, admitted one charge of criminal damage when he appeared in court on Tuesday and was fined £150.
He was also ordered to pay £100 towards replacing the glass in the door, a £15 victim surcharge and £85 costs.
Rian Protheroe, of Green Lane, Whitchurch, Shropshire, has pleaded guilty to growing cannabis and arson in relation to the fire in May. The 26-year-old is due appear again in Preston Crown Court in the week of December 3.
First published at 16:31, Thursday, 15 November 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks (1 comment)
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Fond tributes to Millom poppy appeal heroine
- Millom dad walks 97 miles to highlight tot's plight
- Millom sex offender jailed for three years after targeting children
- Praise for Millom project promoting public health
- Anger over inaction on disabled stairlift at Millom Town Council chambers
- New organ donors sign up within minutes of Millom group's campaign launch
- Disabled access row at Millom Town Council chambers (1 comment)
- West Cumbria residents anger as prison sewage system leaks (1 comment)
- Millom brothers cleared of neglecting mother (1 comment)
- Man left with cuts and bruises after assault in Millom
- Millom cyclist can’t wait for race close to home
- West Cumbria mayor’s political adviser fought to be area’s MP
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria horse Skye back at home after sickening paddock sex attack
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row (3 comments)
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services (1 comment)
- Millom double death inquest concludes
Evening Mail homepage
- Re-enacting the trauma of a World War II evacuation
- Inquest opened into death of Cumbrian girl, 16
- Spam and gas masks as pupils relive WWII
- Dr Mary Young
- Ulverston death sparks fears of drug menace’s return
- Former Vickers man pays tribute to Scottish shipyard leader
- South Lakes couple win £2.7 million on Lotto (9 comments)
- COWS RESCUED FROM LEECE FARM BLAZE
- Horrific Barrow attack ‘was most violent in years’ (33 comments)
- K2B walking tips
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22