Mum heartbroken over daughter’s death in fire
Published at 10:37, Saturday, 04 February 2012
By Giles BrownTHE mother of a woman who died when she was severely burned in a suspected arson attack has spoken of her grief.
Stacey Mackie, 35, formerly of Haverigg, was fatally injured in a fire at her flat in supported accommodation in Kendal.
She suffered 95 per cent burns and died in hospital on the afternoon of the incident on January 27.
Her mother, Jacqueline Mackie, 55, of Haverigg, said she was finding it “hard to function” and revealed she wanted to move Miss Mackie from Crag View in the days before her death.
Miss Mackie had been living in Crag View, which is run by the Stonham arm of Newcastle-based company the Home Group, for 18 months.
Ms Mackie said: “I was going to bring her back to live with me (in Haverigg).”
Ms Mackie thanked the police for their investigation of the case but said the family were struggling to come to terms with the tragedy.
She said: “The police have been exceptional. They have treated it in a very sensitive manner. I believe they are doing all they can.
“We are just in total devastation and shock, it’s very hard to function at the moment.
“It is just terrible because she was such a gentle person, she didn’t have anything bad to say about anybody, she always saw the good in people. She just said she wanted to be a good, nice person.”
People living in Crag View had to go and stay with relatives the weekend after the attack.
A spokesman for the Home Group said all five were back living in the property which is operating as normal.
lTerrence Michael Armer, 61, has been charged with the murder of Miss Mackie. He is also charged with committing arson with intent to endanger the lives of five others.
Armer has been remanded in custody and will appear for a preliminary hearing on February 13 at Carlisle Crown Court.
He has not entered a plea.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks (1 comment)
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Fond tributes to Millom poppy appeal heroine
- Millom dad walks 97 miles to highlight tot's plight
- Millom sex offender jailed for three years after targeting children
- Praise for Millom project promoting public health
- Anger over inaction on disabled stairlift at Millom Town Council chambers
- New organ donors sign up within minutes of Millom group's campaign launch
- Disabled access row at Millom Town Council chambers (1 comment)
- West Cumbria residents anger as prison sewage system leaks (1 comment)
- Millom brothers cleared of neglecting mother (1 comment)
- Man left with cuts and bruises after assault in Millom
- Millom cyclist can’t wait for race close to home
- West Cumbria mayor’s political adviser fought to be area’s MP
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria horse Skye back at home after sickening paddock sex attack
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row (3 comments)
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services (1 comment)
- Millom double death inquest concludes
Evening Mail homepage
- Son follows dad into Scotland rugby shirt
- BAE raunchy pics scandal (37 comments)
- Are Roxanne's sexy schoolgirl pictures in poor taste?
- Motorist’s jail threat
- Ex-Barrow submariner Craig launches charity night for naval fund
- Cumbrian church plans to reuse part of graveyard as space runs out
- Schizophrenic man sent to hospital indefinitely
- Academy are the T-20 kings of Cumbria
- AGE UK WEST CUMBRIA SUMMER EVENTS
- Mums at buggy bootcamp
- Ex-councillor who quit amid scandal to stand
- Man found dead in flat
- The naked truth about Stobbarts workers in Workington
- Police name man found dead in van
- Man, 29, jailed for dealing fake tablets
- My friend Frankie . . .
- Man fined £600 for knife in car
- Public loos? They’re a work of art!
- Rail lobby group blasts Duddon estuary road bridge bid (7 comments)
- Children’s Ward given eggs-tra special treat
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22