Taking a picture break at the tannery
Last updated at 11:56, Wednesday, 04 January 2012
THIS picture from the 1950s shows workers taking a break at the old West Cost Tannery at Haverigg.
It was kindly provided by Margaret South, of Egremont Street, Millom.
With the help of some detective work by Tony Murning, of Lonsdale Road, Millom, we are able to name all but two of them.
On the back row, from left, is Mr P Withycombe, Pat Harris, Muriel Crellin, Muriel Sample, Shirley Hogarth, unknown, Norma Fallows, Winnie Hall and Clarice Rogan.
On the front row, from left, is Edna Chadwick, Anne Hetherington, Rita Hellon, Tommy Campbell, Joan McGarry, Lena Harris, Beat Roskells, Rita Pattinson and Albert Holliday. The man laying on his side at the front is unidentified.
Overseas competition saw the end of the tannery in the late 1970s.
Some of the larger buildings have been demolished and others converted to a variety of industrial and commercial uses.
First published at 11:55, Wednesday, 04 January 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Millom Rugby Union Club awarded £10,000 grant (2 comments)
- Australian children send war tributes to South Cumbria
- Date of birth gaffe caused delay in Millom mum's vital biopsy result
- Copeland Borough Council faces major upheaval as half of councillors opt to step down
- Cumbria cyclist should be back in the saddle for Tour
- Millom shop boss evades driving ban
- Millom parents fighting for centre given group’s support
- Man caught with cannabis at Cumbria beach
- Charges of throwing illicit items into Cumbria jail
- Millom mum’s biopsy results anguish
- Experts deliver grim warning after child drug service is axed in Cumbria (15 comments)
- Cumbria drink-driver warned after latest offence
- Millom vandals allow donkey and pony to escape
- Curbing violence is key aim at Cumbria prison
- Concerns over increase in violence at Cumbria prison (3 comments)
- Electric barriers result in outrage among Haverigg residents (3 comments)
- Prospect of Cumbria support in Tour of Britain inspires Millom cyclist
- Temporary fix for closed Millom tip (1 comment)
- Guests have a ball raising £2.5k for Millom mayor’s charities
- Firm’s upgrade pledge after sale of Cumbria holiday park
- Millom recycling centre closed for "urgent works" (2 comments)
- West Cumbria mayor’s £50k salary ‘lowest in country’ (1 comment)
- Candidates for Copeland Council elections invited to meet
- Millom man accused of murdering Kenya girlfriend mentally fit to stand trial
- Man makes Millom ‘tip baby’ death T-shirt vow