Teen hurt as mob chases man in Millom shop
Last updated at 16:23, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
A TEENAGER was injured by a firework thrown at a supermarket during a small riot.
More than 20 police officers were called to a disturbance outside the Tesco store, in Lancashire Road, Millom, on Saturday night.
Police confirmed a large group of people had chased a man from the nearby travelling fun-fair, off St George’s Road, into the supermarket, which had to be closed early.
A Cumbria police spokeswoman said: “At 9.20pm on September 22, police were called to the vicinity of Tesco, in Millom, to reports of disorder. Officers attended and discovered that a large group of people had chased a man from the fair and he had gone into Tesco for safety.
“Numerous police patrols were called into the area to restore order and as police were attempting to disperse the crowd, a firework was thrown at the front door of the Tesco store, which caused minor injury to a 16-year-old male in the vicinity.
“Police enquiries are under way to identify those involved.
“The man, who suffers with mental health problems, was taken into safety by police and CCTV and police body cam images are being examined to identify those involved in the incident.”
An eye witness, who did not wish to be named, told the Evening Mail: “There was a stampede to catch the man. They followed him into Tesco and then gathered outside it.
“The two police officers that initially dealt with the incident handled it with amazing control.
“The youths were chanting ‘We shall not be moved’ before a firework was thrown at the building.
“While there didn’t appear to be any violence outside the shop, it was an intimidating situation and it brought back what we saw in the big cities last year.”
A spokeswoman for Tesco confirmed that the Millom store was forced to close for a short time on Saturday evening, due to the incident. She added that the store would be assisting police with enquiries.
First published at 16:20, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Woman to stand trial accused of delivering drugs to Haverigg Prison in Cumbria
- Millom man 48, pleads not guilty to stalking
- Decision to discharge Millom killer defended by trust
- Sellafield deer cull plans are branded ‘absurd’ (7 comments)
- Cumbria Ambulance response times vow (1 comment)
- ‘Good’ Ofsted rating delights proud head at Cumbria village school
- Millom parents who neglected children could face jail
- Cumbria's top judge calls for mephedrone to be reclassified
- Trial of Millom murder accused to start this week
- Farm burgled near Millom
- Millom GP services to move to hospital
- Ex-PCSO from Millom is cleared of assault
- Whale washed up on Cumbria beach (3 comments)
- Millom DJ admits cocaine charge
- Millom dad appears in court on child abuse image charges
- Fears Millom waste site hours cut will lead to fly-tipping rise (2 comments)
- Woman accused of attempting to give legal highs to Cumbria inmates due in court today (1 comment)
- Social media crimes in Cumbria on the increase
- More cases of elderly waiting for treatment in Millom (2 comments)
- UPDATE: Millom murder accused pleads not guilty
- Millom man jailed for failing to comply with orders
- Activity provider is blasted for ‘failing’ Millom families
- Suspect held after damage to Millom takeaway
- Millom man jailed
- One-way traffic ‘is only answer’ for Millom (3 comments)
Evening Mail homepage
ENERGY FOR LIFE 5.1k WALNEY FAMILY FUN RUN
Did you enjoy the Energy For Life 5.1k Walney Family Fun Run?
• Click here to pledge to take part in next year's event on September 2, 2012
- Email us
- Send us your pictures
- Send us your news
- Send us your views
- Staff contacts
- Advertise with us
- Family Notices
- Reader Travel
- Competition rules
- CN Letterbox
- Find It in Furness
- CV Link
- Online shop
- CN Research
- Eye Care Savings
- Halifax loans