Teen hurt as mob chases man in Millom shop
Last updated at 16:23, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
A TEENAGER was injured by a firework thrown at a supermarket during a small riot.
More than 20 police officers were called to a disturbance outside the Tesco store, in Lancashire Road, Millom, on Saturday night.
Police confirmed a large group of people had chased a man from the nearby travelling fun-fair, off St George’s Road, into the supermarket, which had to be closed early.
A Cumbria police spokeswoman said: “At 9.20pm on September 22, police were called to the vicinity of Tesco, in Millom, to reports of disorder. Officers attended and discovered that a large group of people had chased a man from the fair and he had gone into Tesco for safety.
“Numerous police patrols were called into the area to restore order and as police were attempting to disperse the crowd, a firework was thrown at the front door of the Tesco store, which caused minor injury to a 16-year-old male in the vicinity.
“Police enquiries are under way to identify those involved.
“The man, who suffers with mental health problems, was taken into safety by police and CCTV and police body cam images are being examined to identify those involved in the incident.”
An eye witness, who did not wish to be named, told the Evening Mail: “There was a stampede to catch the man. They followed him into Tesco and then gathered outside it.
“The two police officers that initially dealt with the incident handled it with amazing control.
“The youths were chanting ‘We shall not be moved’ before a firework was thrown at the building.
“While there didn’t appear to be any violence outside the shop, it was an intimidating situation and it brought back what we saw in the big cities last year.”
A spokeswoman for Tesco confirmed that the Millom store was forced to close for a short time on Saturday evening, due to the incident. She added that the store would be assisting police with enquiries.
First published at 16:20, Tuesday, 25 September 2012
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks (1 comment)
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Fond tributes to Millom poppy appeal heroine
- Millom dad walks 97 miles to highlight tot's plight
- Millom sex offender jailed for three years after targeting children
- Praise for Millom project promoting public health
- Anger over inaction on disabled stairlift at Millom Town Council chambers
- New organ donors sign up within minutes of Millom group's campaign launch
- Disabled access row at Millom Town Council chambers (1 comment)
- West Cumbria residents anger as prison sewage system leaks (1 comment)
- Millom brothers cleared of neglecting mother (1 comment)
- Man left with cuts and bruises after assault in Millom
- Millom cyclist can’t wait for race close to home
- West Cumbria mayor’s political adviser fought to be area’s MP
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria horse Skye back at home after sickening paddock sex attack
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row (3 comments)
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services (1 comment)
- Millom double death inquest concludes