Thursday, 11 February 2016

Tragic death of 13-year-old boy

A BOY hanged himself days after telling his friends they would never see him again.

Jordan Walders-Searle, 13, was found hanging in his bedroom at the home he shared with his sister, mother and stepfather.

Just days before he died, Jordan told school friends he had been hearing voices. The Furness Academy pupil also told friends they would not see him again.

Jordan’s family described him as “a loving, intelligent and creative boy.”

At an inquest into the teenager’s death, his parents; Sarah Searle and John Walders, described their son as quiet and reserved.

Mrs Searle, of Island Road, Barrow, said: “He wasn’t the happiest, when he was 10 he struggled and was very unhappy.”

The inquest at Barrow Town Hall yesterday included evidence from Jordan’s friends, who recalled the last time they saw him.

Recalling a statement taken from one girl, Detective Constable Craig Wakefield, of Barrow police, said: “Jordan told her he had started hearing voices and said they were getting him to do things. She asked him about the voices, he said he didn’t want to talk but described it as almost like someone was taking over his body.”

The day before Jordan died, he had told the same girl: “I don’t think you’ll be seeing me again.”

On November 4, Jordan was found hanging in his bedroom. The teenager was taken to Furness General Hospital but died the following day from his injuries.

Another friend later told police that the day before he died, Jordan had said: “You won’t be seeing me after November 5.”

A post mortem revealed Jordan had suffered from hypothyroidism, an under-active thyroid, which can manifest itself through depression and fatigue.

His stepfather, Andrew Searle, said: “He had been referred to a child psychologist, both myself and my wife attended once a week with him. Things did improve (but) there was no diagnosis as such.”

After Jordan’s death, police seized a computer from his room and discovered he had visited an online forum for sufferers of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder.

The coroner for South and East Cumbria, Ian Smith, recorded a narrative verdict and said Jordan had taken his own life but had not committed suicide.

Mr Smith said: “Nobody can ever know if he deliberately ended his own life but it is possible he was doing something in the expectation his sister or mum would come up and he would be at the centre of attention.”

After the inquest, Jordan’s family said: “Jordan was a loving, intelligent and creative boy, who was developing into a responsible and focused young man.

“He had great aspirations for his future, discussing university courses and career options; we had every confidence that he would have achieved his dreams.

“His untimely and tragic passing has left us with an unfathomable emptiness and sadness in our hearts. We would like to take this opportunity to thank our family, close friends and the Bluebell Foundation for their continuing support and kindness.”

l For confidential emotional support 24 hours a day, 365 days a year, people can call The Samaritans on 08457 909090.

Have your say

I totally agree with the post by Sheila. I think its shocking that this poor lad was not physically checked out and it happens all the time. Many physical conditions can cause or mimic mental illness so why arent out doctors checking people for these problems? Cost and laziness I think. My thoughts are with Jordan`s family and I wish them all the luck in the world to get through this time.

Posted by Tracy on 29 April 2011 at 23:14

My heartfelt sympathy to the family. Mental health problems are so complex and particularily difficult to deal with in young people. Thinking of you all

Posted by janet bury on 29 April 2011 at 17:27

View all 5 comments on this article

Make your comment

Your name

Your Email

Your Town/City

Your comment


More Millom news

Hot jobs

Evening Mail homepage

Resource Cumbria

The Forum

F. Dickinson footwear

Homes and gardens 22