Tributes pour in for dad killed in motorbike crash
Published at 16:32, Thursday, 06 September 2012
TRIBUTES have been paid to a popular Millom dad who died in a motorbike crash.
Stephen ‘Sharpo’ Sharp was involved in a collision with a Vauxhall Astra on the A595 on Tuesday night.
The 52-year-old died at the scene, near the Blackbeck Inn, Egremont.
Mr Sharp, of Lonsdale Road, Millom, was described as the “life and soul of a party” by his family.
In a tribute, they said: “It is with great sadness that Stephen has been so tragically taken from us.
“He will be deeply missed by his family, especially his daughter and his extensive friends from around the country.
“Best known for his love of motorbikes and rock music, whose characteristics made him the life and soul of the party, Stephen will undoubtedly be missed by all who knew him.”
Although not a member of the group, Mr Sharp would often join members of the Millom Bike Group on weekly rides.
Bill Jones, chairman of Millom Bike Group, paid tribute to the keen motorcyclist. He said: “We’re sorry to hear about the sad loss of Stephen.
“He was a good buddy and a good lad. He would do a favour for anybody, nothing was any trouble to him.
“If you were sat in a group having a pint he was the life and soul. He really was a character, his own man. If he disagreed on something, he disagreed. He wouldn’t go along with the crowd.
“He loved his bikes, kept them nice and clean and well maintained.”
Mr Jones added that he will be sadly missed by the community.
The driver of the car, a 56-year-old man, was taken to West Cumberland Hospital where he was treated for serious, but not life-threatening, injuries. His condition last night was described as “stable and comfortable”.
The road was closed while emergency services dealt with the incident and carried out their investigation of the scene.
Mr Sharp was known to be a keen shooting enthusiast and dog lover, owning Lurchers.
As keen motorcyclist, the Sellafield electrician was also a regular attendee of the Bulldog Bash motorbike festival, in Warwickshire.
Cumbria police are appealing for witnesses to the crash, which occurred at about 7.40pm on Tuesday.
Anyone who witnessed the incident is asked to contact PC 1410 Benzie of the West Roads Policing Unit on 101.
Published by http://www.nwemail.co.uk
More Millom news
- Probe under way into Cumbria housing estate ‘health hazard’ leaks (1 comment)
- Percussion demo in Millom has positive impact
- Last respects paid to Millom poppymaker Mary
- Power tools and bike stolen in Millom burglary
- Police investigate Millom assault
- £7,500 pledge to help make Millom ‘danger’ park fit for purpose
- Hundreds lap up Millom Infant School summer entertainment
- Millom Post Office will be closed for up to three weeks during revamp
- Residents of flood-risk Millom set to get emergency plan
- Fond tributes to Millom poppy appeal heroine
- Millom dad walks 97 miles to highlight tot's plight
- Millom sex offender jailed for three years after targeting children
- Praise for Millom project promoting public health
- Anger over inaction on disabled stairlift at Millom Town Council chambers
- New organ donors sign up within minutes of Millom group's campaign launch
- Disabled access row at Millom Town Council chambers (1 comment)
- West Cumbria residents anger as prison sewage system leaks (1 comment)
- Millom brothers cleared of neglecting mother (1 comment)
- Man left with cuts and bruises after assault in Millom
- Millom cyclist can’t wait for race close to home
- West Cumbria mayor’s political adviser fought to be area’s MP
- WITH VIDEO: South Cumbria horse Skye back at home after sickening paddock sex attack
- Skate park boss and Millom council at loggerheads over contract row (3 comments)
- Fears over ‘disgraceful’ cuts to Millom teenage support services (1 comment)
- Millom double death inquest concludes
Evening Mail homepage
F. Dickinson footwear
Homes and gardens 22